Cob and Natural Building Classroom Workshop – Monteagle, TN
April 15-16, 2017 Cancelled
Time: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Location: Monteagle, Tennessee at the Smoke House Lodge
Join us for this unique and fun learning experience in our Cob and Natural Building “Classroom Workshop” in Monteagle, Tennessee!
This is a great opportunity to learn the ins-and-outs of cob construction and Natural Building, which are usually not taught in other workshops. We will cover a wide range of topics so that you will know how to build a cob house from start to finish. Whether you are new to cob and Natural Building, this class will be very beneficial to your success.
The “classroom workshop” is unique from our traditional hands-on workshops in a few ways. Instead of focusing on the physical actions involved in building something, we will focus on architectural design and getting a well-rounded understanding of building with cob, earth materials, and Natural Building as a whole. This class will be taught in a presentation style where we can study building diagrams and learn in a casual classroom type of setting.
This classroom workshop will be taught by Alex Sumerall, an east coast Natural Builder who has a focus on creating earthen structures that are healthy, aesthetically pleasing, and functional for modern life. He is the owner of This Cob House LLC, which is dedicated to teaching people about cob and natural building techniques. Alex has a background in business and advertising, and has been practicing Natural Building since 2011. He graduated from the Aprovecho School of Natural Building in 2013 in Cottage Grove, Oregon, and continues to teach, present, consult, and construct.
– Introduction to Natural Building
– Foundations (Rubble Trench, Stone, Concrete)
– Windows & Doors
– Walls (Cob, Rammed Earth, Adobe, Wattle & Daub, Superadobe, Strawbale, Light-Straw-Clay, Hempcrete)
– Bond Beams and Roofing
– Electrical & Plumbing
– Cob Ingredients – Soil, Sand, Straw, Water
– Testing and Selecting Soil
– Site Preparation
– How to Make Cob (Tarp Method, Mechanized Methods)
– Passive Solar Design
– Thermal Mass and Insulation
– Building Cob Walls
– Hybrid Building Design
– Building Codes and Permits Discussion
– Natural Finishes (Earthen, Lime, Tadelakt)
– Earthen Floors
– Plus much more!
– We will also do several Q&A sessions to get all your various questions answered.
– Learn building design, which is not taught in other workshops
– You will learn about many often overlooked topics in building
– Get personal attention to your questions
– Learn in a comfortable setting with other like-minded people
Everyone who signs up for the workshop will receive my downloadable eBooks, FREE:
– Build a Cob House: A Step-By-Step Guide (eBook)
– Cob to Code: The Owner-Builder’s Guide to Cob Homes and Building Codes (eBook)
We have a 20% discount at the Smoke House Lodge for attending this event.
Please call 931-924-2091 to make a lodging reservation. Tell them you’re coming for the event with This Cob House to reserve the discount on your room.
This is a very comfortable and well-priced accommodation and I highly recommend staying here. We will be hosting the workshop here so it is also the most convenient location to stay at in town.
The Smoke House Lodge has a full restaurant and general store where you can get food. The food is excellent, by the way! There are also several restaurants and a few grocery stores in town.
The price is for the workshop tuition (does not include food & lodging).
Regular price: $199
Regular price: $249
If you have any other questions about the workshop, please feel free to email me at email@example.com
If you have a large party of people registering, they can all register separately, or contact me for a custom invoice.